Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Laughing with black people


Russ: "Do you have asteroids?"

Russ's Cousin: "No...but my dad does."

So, another trek this past Sunday leads me to the Deli for some lunch meat for the weeks lunches I pack myself. As I stand in line waiting for #25 to be called, I peruse around the area to check out the other yummie treats that surround me. An older black woman, I'm guessing that she'd just come from church as she was in her 'sunday best', had picked her number from the ticket dispenser. The lady behind the counter called out "23"......She immediately stopped talking to the woman she was with and checked her ticket again. "Oh my word, we leavin' ". The much younger, and quite attractive, other black woman she was with, said "What's wrong?" I've got ticket 128. I looked down at mine to see if I had misread mine. The poor old woman read her ticket as 128 when it actually read I28. I showed her mine (my ticket sicko's) to show her that I had an I in front of my # too. She just laughed and fanned herself giving a sigh of relief. Then the older man infront of me, black also, was getting his meat sliced. The woman behind the counter, ALSO black, gave the ham a single slice and came up to the counter and asked "how does that look?" then promptly dropped it on the floor by accident. And in the funniest black woman voice, with the head swing and everything, said " it don't look too good now does it?" We all got a good laugh. I like my local Kroger and the diversity there on Sundays especially. I think that's going to be my new go-to spot on the weekends. Anyone care to join me....It's a hoot!!!!!

7 comments:

RAY O'SUNSHINE said...

Yeah, I will be in the beer aisle though. Another lunch realted post huh? Wowza.

Stephanie said...

This post makes me uneasy. Like we shouldn't be talking about this. Should we be talking about this?

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

Thanks bra', but I got all the diversity I need right near home.

By the way doc, why does talking about lunchmeat make you uneasy?

Dan-O said...

Laughing with black people just brings us all closer. And no better time than on the Lords day.

cmeddie said...

um... UM, is this "technically" politically correct?

And everyone knows I avoid lunchmeat like the plague.

Dan said...

I'm beyond help ... the line in your post that made me laugh the most was:

Then the older man infront of me, black also, was getting his meat sliced.

Anonymous said...

You guys are fine talking about this. You just need a "token" black friend. If you have one reference them. If not, feel free to reference me.

Love the new Kroger Marketplace up by me. Once got some lunchmeat for a party, and it got a little old having to sample everything they sliced for me.